What You’ll Need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med yellow onion
1/2 each of red/green bell pepper
1/2 tbsp jalapeno pepper*
1/4 habanero pepper*
2 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 mushrooms (chopped)
2 lb ground turkey/chicken/plant based beef
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chicken vegetable stock mix
1 (12 oz) can or bottle of beer
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes (garlic and olive oil preferably)
1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (19 oz) can “Chili Seasonings” diced stewed tomatoes (or some variation of this)
2-3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp BBQ sauce
2 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 (19 oz) can mixed kidney beans
1 (19 oz) can chick peas
* modify more or less depending on desired “heat”.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Cook turkey with1 tbsp olive in medium-high hot skillet until brown and crumbly. Add Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder, stock mix and beer. Continue to cook for about 3-5 mins. Stir mixture into pepper mixture.
- Stir cans of tomatoes to the turkey mixture. Add chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, basil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for about 60 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and chick peas and simmer for about 30 mins more.
Bonus: Add a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired